Thursday, April 30, 2009

Cinderella's Door



Ed worked on window and door trim this weekend. The side trim is narrower at the top and wider at the bottom. This line echos the front columns and overhang, and will tie everything together nicely. Ed cut the trim pieces from the cedar boards that we painted a week ago, then I primed the cut sides. After they were dry, up they went. It is a little tough to see here up against the felt paper, but the green trim will stand out well once the shingles are up.




The same theme is carried through the windows on the back. These were existing windows to the original garage. I primed the sill today.

We decided to wait to replace the existing plain garage doors until the entire construction project is done and we can re-evaluate finances. The existing doors are well-built and functional. They just don't look like craftsman doors. So I thought I would try to paint them with some detail. The worst that can happen is that it can look horrible and we repaint them a solid color.

After searching the internet for different ideas, I came up with my own. I wanted it to have the rail and stile look, but reflect the eyebrow dormer detail over the window on the second story.


If Cinderella had a garage door, this is what it would look like. Plain but functional, hardworking but not very pretty...and needing a bath.


But then....the Fairy Garage Door Opener appeared....and...poof!


And the Handsome Prince drove his Jeep inside and they lived happily every after....oh..sorry..got carried away. And no, it doesn't turn back into a grungy door if somebody's not home before midnight.

But yeah, I can paint that. Dark brown for the rails and stiles and light brown for the panels, black for the wrought iron hinges and door handles.

So I TSP'd the garage doors today, and first thing tomorrow, I'll drive into town for some paint. I went outside and drew it on the garage door itself to make sure it wasn't going to look silly, and it looked darned good! Unfortunately most of the pencil came off during the TSP process. Yes, Mom, I wore safety glasses, and it's a good thing too, cause I splashed that stuff all over!
Hopefully by tomorrow night, I'll have the base coat on and dry, and can get out my grid and start plotting the contrast color.

No comments:

Post a Comment