Monday, September 7, 2009

Moose and Squirrel






I've never been a fan of getting up early in the morning. Having said that, I must admit that once I'm up and awake, early morning is a special part of the day, not to be missed. If only I enjoyed coffee.... Somehow sipping on a diet Coke and watching the sunrise just doesn't have the same warm fuzzy literary sound.






Nonetheless, it was a gorgeous beginning to a busy week. After just a few magical minutes, the mist cleared and we were left with a fine fall day.












Ed finished putting in all the lights, switches, outlets and inlets. Along the way there were a few alternative words thrown about as Ed fought with cheap Chinese-made screws that bent over and wouldn't thread. Then there was the light fixture that had been the victim of someone's five-finger discount and was missing some crucial parts. Keep in mind that the store is an hour each way! The grout I picked out was way too light for the tile. We had to get a different color only to find out we didn't get enough and had to put off grouting the shower.

Finally all the electrical is complete, all the switchplates are on and we have power upstairs.



We put a fan in the living area and one in the bedroom. I like the one in the bedroom. I picked it out. I especially like those little shades. What I didn't notice was the forest scene around the motor complete with moose and bear. I have since learned that there is a little known Washington building code section 412.1006.2687WBC that says all new construction and any remodel construction more than 500 sq ft, must include or depict wildlife, either living or dead, to maintain the builder's green status, to include but not limited to antler furniture, taxidermied fish or metal cutout artwork. Lucky for me our moose fan with antler pulls has it covered.
Ed and I spent one afternoon driving to Longview running from store to store with a list as long as my arm. Then to Portland to Lumber Liquidators to pick out hardwood flooring. That'll take three weeks to get here. We're also waiting for the rest of the tile to come in so that we can finish that up. We spent a day driving to Seaside to talk woodstoves with someone too new to the job to be of any assistance, but it was a lovely drive. So our time on the actual jobsite has been a little limited. Sunday afternoon we spent some time ripping down spruce boards for baseboards and window trim.
There are just a million things at once, and it's making me a bit squirrelly. We still don't have a firm date on moving out the doublewide and I'm still packing up stuff to move..some to the barn, some to the garage for the apartment. Garage sale pile or garbage pile? I haven't used some stuff for the last three years, but will I need it in the next two? Paper or plastic? This next week, Ed will be working to finish shingling the chimney and I will be trying to finish packing the house.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful scenery (of course), the apt looks great! I know what you mean about cheap Chinese products. So far we have had to replace 3 of the 5 tire rims on the trailer cuz the rims split resulting in flat tires. All of the rims are "Hecho in China". Gene is searching high and low for rims "Hecho in USA".

    ReplyDelete