Sunday, February 13, 2011

We Have Ignition or This Sucks

   Finally, Ed is finished with the electrical rough-in. I wish I had kept track of how many miles of wire have been pulled through the whole house. Every circuit, in both boxes, is used up. An octopus of wire slithers through the walls. 60 circuits in all. 58 circuits for the house, and two for the emergency generator.
  

 But there is no stopping now. Ed went right to work on the ongoing list of tasks.
Bath vent:    √
Kitchen gas vent:    √
Propane to stove:    √
Phone wire:     √

  And so it goes until he gets one list done, and starts another list.

  
Ed ran wire for the smoke detectors and tied them into the fire sprinkler system, all to be run into the alarm system. If the fire sprinklers activate, it will set off the audio fire alarm inside, and send a water flow alarm for a fire response. There is also a water flow bell at the front of the house. Of course we're a long way from anyone who could actually hear it, but it's all good in theory.


   One thing that is as good in practice as in theory is my beloved central vacuum system. When I ordered this bad boy, I told the customer service representative at Central Vacuum Stores that I wanted something that was a hazard to small children and farm animals. Something that would suck the wallpaper right off the walls, just like the cartoons when we were kids.  The folks there are very helpful in making sure you have all the necessary parts for the project. See that rectangular box on the PVC pipe? That's a muffler! I also bought a 40' hose for each floor so I won't be lugging a hose up and down the stairs. I'll have a kickplate in the kitchen and craft room so I can just activate it and sweep crumbs right in. Ed turned it on for a test, and it was music to my ears.
   One of the most difficult things about building is trying to anticipate every possible current and future need. Ed has also been wiring for the theater in the basement...games, speakers..TV, DVD, Xbox..Someday this work area will be TRANSFORMED....... into...... I have no idea... but you'll be able to hear whatever it is straight through to your bones.    
    Tomorrow the insulation company will be out for a bid, and by the end of this week we should be ready for our electrical inspection.

1 comment:

  1. Updating the house is something I always look forward to. Anyway, it was a good idea to have hoses in each floor. Now, I'm thinking why my husband haven't thought of it. Haha! We'll surely do the same to make cleaning a lot easier. Thanks!

    -Maisie Hood

    ReplyDelete