Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Watching The Mud Dry

 
 The tapers have finished, and we're just waiting for the mud to dry. Once it's dry, the walls will get a texture coat and we can start painting.
   Ed doesn't do down-time very well and was looking for short time projects to do while he waited. He started piecing the waste pipe from the house toward the septic tank. Of course, that meant getting down and dirty. At least it's dry under the deck.


 We took the opportunity to make a quick trip to Astoria. It was a gorgeous spring day, and I love watching the big ships come in.
 We made the obligatory stop at Home Depot. This time we were looking at tile and slate. I have become obsessed with flooring..hardwood, tile, slate, ceramic or porcelain. I look at it all.
  
I had an elevated expectation of what would be available in the flooring world. I had visions of huge warehouses of discount tile of every color and texture. After several trips to Portland with varying results, I think we have decided on honed walnut travertine for the foyer and most of the bathrooms. Won't that look great with the cabinets?
   I also found an inexpensive ceramic tile that is a very good match with the walnut travertine for the craft room floor. I mean, really, does the dog care it's not the real deal?
 
 Our bedroom and bath will be blue and gray which is different than all of the rest of the house. I found a delicious honed travertine, silver, in nice big 18" tiles. for the bathroom and shower.








  Yesterday Bob Redmill of Redmill Drywall returned to texture the walls and ceiling. The house got a smooth coat. The stairwell going to the basement, and the two rooms in the basement got a rougher Venician Plaster texture.  We'll paint that to look like stone at some later date.
 



   Some of these guys do all their work on stilts. Frankly I can't imagine how sore these guys were the first two weeks on the job. They even go up and down stairs in these things. I asked one guy how many times he fell while learning to use them.
  "Four times" , he said.
  "It's a miracle you didn't break your leg." I replied.
   "Yeah, it can get ugly." he answered.
  No kidding...it's an hour to the hospital.


So today we can start painting. Ed is moving staging and the airless paint sprayer up from the barn.  I thought we'd still be waiting for the mud to dry and made plans with a friend today, but it'll be my last free-play day for a long time. Paint, tile, floor, furniture, stain, door jambs, baseboards.... they will be my life until we move in.

No comments:

Post a Comment