Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Sister Brigit Comes Inside

   Yes, I know it hasn't been a week since I've made an entry, but so much has happened in the last few days I just couldn't wait.
   The first cabinet delivery came on Monday. We were blessed with good weather in the morning...just enough time to get everything inside.  The craft room island was a tight fit, but they muscled it in without damage.
   I know it's a little self-occupied but I couldn't help but to admire the craft room island. There are large and small racks for my stained glass pieces, and project drawers on the left. There will be cabinet doors over the glass rack to protect any little inquisitive fingers from a nasty cut. On top on the right side, Ed will probably put in a light table. I'm so excited!


  Today's delivery was for the craft room and the bath room vanities. I love how the toekicks came out on the vanities. They look great with the shaker style cabinet doors.
   Ed finished tiling the upstairs bathrooms. The tile is setting and we're waiting to grout.
   While the weather is holding, Ed decided  it would be a good time to do one of the jobs we have been dreading: move the antique stove into the house.  This is a 1920s Magic Chef 1000 with two ovens and 6 burners. For 10 years I've dreamed about having this in my kitchen.

    Because it weighs between 500-600 lbs, Ed wanted to get it in before he put down the travertine in the foyer. The plan is to forklift it up onto the porch and roll it on a dolly through the foyer, down the hall and into the kitchen.
   I started by clearing a path in the garage where the stove has lived for the last five years. That alone was no small chore. The garage has become the storage place for stuff for the house...furniture, bath fixtures.
   We got it through the garage without any huge problems, and Ed brought the tractor around to pick it up. Here's where I start to twitch, because I have visions of this thing toppling over and smashing into a gazillion pieces. It's built so solidly we could probably just pick it up, brush it off and it would be fine. But with his usual finesse, Ed moved it to the porch without a hitch. He set it down right on the dolly. We put plywood on the floor inside the house, and began rolling it into place.
   We had a similar stove at a previous home, and I loved it. We were looking for parts for that stove (not easy to find) when we found out that a convent
nearby was closing and they wanted to sell their stove. I called them right away.
   "Sr. Mary Margaret, how much do you want for that stove?" I asked.
   "Oh, I don't know.....$200?" she said.
    I gasped! "Lock the doors, don't let anybody in but us."
   We'll probably burn in Hell for ripping off the nuns.
   In atonement, and with affection, I've named the stove Sr. Brigit. My hope is to cook many memorable meals with her help.  
   Ed is beginning the tile in the foyer this morning, and I will be in The Dungeon applying varnish to wood.

No comments:

Post a Comment