Wednesday, July 27, 2011

It's All In The Details or Full Speed Ahead

   Before I left for a short trip out of state I finished the slate tiles on the downstairs fireplace. We liked the soldier rows on the hearth much better than the larger slate pieces we used upstairs. Ed went up and chiseled them off the upstairs hearth and I'll re-do them. It's easy to re-do now. Once those granite hearth tops go on, it would be really difficult.

   Some of the furniture has begun to arrive. We received the upstairs sofa, an end table, and two Morris chairs. I was a little nervous about buying furniture on-line, since my prior experience was such a nightmare.
   We bought the chairs and sofa through Furniture Butler  (www.furniturebutler.net) and I couldn't be happier with their service and the product. The sofa is comfortable and the leather is delicious. We're going to leave it in the wrapping as long as I can stand it to keep the last of the construction dust off. The sofa will get carried upstairs when Ed has a stronger helper than I am.
   See those columns? Those go from the top of that cabinet to the ceiling at the entry...one on each side, of course. The columns mimic the front door and the exterior porch detail.
   Ed has finished all the window and door trim, and has been working on the baseboards. Elicia and I will give the window and door trim a sanding and second coat of finish in place. Ed did the same for the baseboards prior to installation, because who wants to spend a week crouched down on hands and knees to do that? While I was gone he installed almost all of the baseboards, and he finished them today.

   On the way home from the airport yesterday, I stopped at Lowe's and picked up the Bosch dishwasher we ordered. That needs to get installed before Friday, since we're hoping the granite will come then. Everything is proceeding at lightening speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment