Sunday, April 8, 2012

Late Onset Building Burnout

    We have both been suffering from a bad case of Late Onset Building Burnout, or LOBB. On our way back from vacation last week we realized that the best way to stay on track was to make a list. What you can see is that Ed's list is much longer than mine. What you can't see is that there is a second page to go along with the first. The weather is improving, we're feeling refreshed, and the list won't do itself.

   There was a slight miscalculation in setting the vanity lights in the bedrooms. We centered the electrical boxes in the wall above where the vanities would go, the sheet rock guys came and went, and we very carefully painted the colors of our choice in each bathroom. Unfortunately the vanity cabinets had a sink and cabinet to one side, drawers on the other. Under the heading of "Things you don't think about until it's done." ...when it was all together we realized.....it's not symmetrical. If the mirror was centered on the wall under the lights, it was off-center to the sink. If it was centered on the sink, it was off with the lights. At first Ed wanted to move the light, but that would mean ripping out sheet rock, changing the location of the box  and repainting the whole room.                  
      In the upstairs bathrooms we will be able to adjust the existing fixtures. But in the downstairs bathroom, we decided to just find a different light fixture with a larger back plate.   Now instead of matching the faucets, the light matches the doorknobs  and cabinet hardware. I can live with that. Everything is symmetrical and the world can continue to rotate on it's proper axis.

   The bathrooms are still patiently waiting for backsplashes. That would be my job. I don't know why I stalled out. It's not hard to do, and I actually enjoy it. The grouting...not so much. When I tiled the fireplaces, Elicia was here to run buckets of fresh water for me. That's the hardest part. I
  I started with the craft room bath. This one has the jetted tub. Silly me, if I'd tiled this months ago we could have been using this tub to soak away sore muscles. Somehow it just kept getting put off.
   Ed had to cut down the cabinet face for the tub. The tile is down, and I'll seal the slate before grouting. I guess it wouldn't be practical to fly Elicia up for a weekend just to make her hustle buckets of water for me.
   I have two more bathrooms that need backsplashes. Those are easy and quick to do. Then I start the grout.

No comments:

Post a Comment